Recent Posts

Submitted by Ralph McArdell on Sun, 20 Jul 2014 16:58:29 +0100
Updated Sun, 09 Nov 2014 10:33:13 +0000

In my previous post Parallella Problems – Initial Investigations [1] I detailed the problems I was having with the 4 Parallella boards [2] in my mini-cluster and what I had done to investigate them.  Since then I have been continuing my investigations and it looks like I might have found a reason and solution to the more serious problem suffered by the board that suffers complete system lock ups when running Epiphany chip [3] tests and examples.

Submitted by Ralph McArdell on Mon, 14 Jul 2014 11:03:54 +0100
Updated Thu, 30 Oct 2014 10:15:48 +0000

In my last two posts Building a Parallella Mini-Cluster [1] and Bringing Up a Parallella Mini-Cluster – Trials and Tribulations [2] I described constructing a small cluster of 4 Parallella boards [3] into a case with power and cooling and initial steps at getting the cluster up and running. I finished at the point where I knew of the following problems:

Submitted by Ralph McArdell on Sat, 12 Jul 2014 16:35:50 +0100
Updated Tue, 04 Nov 2014 08:44:18 +0000

My previous post Building a Parallella Mini-Cluster [1] dealt with physically building the cluster and ended at the point it could be switched on and off. The next stage is bringing the cluster up to a stable and usable state, and I am sorry to report that it has not been a trouble free ride and tracking down the problems is ongoing as of mid-July 2014.

One thing I should mention is that before turning on the power for the first time I installed the provided heat sinks on the Zynq FPGA chips.

Submitted by Ralph McArdell on Thu, 10 Jul 2014 16:58:45 +0100
Updated Thu, 27 Nov 2014 11:30:30 +0000

In early May 2014 I finally received from Adapteva [1] my Parallella Kickstarter project [2] mini-cluster reward of 4 Parallella boards plus network switch, power adapters, cables etc. The reward was originally supposed to be delivered in May 2013 but suffered many delays and setbacks, as documented on the Parallella website [3] and forums [4].

Submitted by Ralph McArdell on Sun, 01 Jun 2014 17:15:59 +0100
Updated Thu, 26 Mar 2015 15:22:06 +0000

I started experimenting with Raspberry Pi GPIO using Python [1,2]. Then the original Gertboard[3] kit was released so I ordered and built one which enabled me to play with BCM2835 peripheral IO beyond basic GPIO. At the time the Gertboard had test and example C code available [4] that, as with the Python case, I felt could be expressed more cleanly. I thought it would be interesting to see what advantages C++, hopefully C++11, features and idioms might provide.